It’s natural to consume a little more sugar during the summer. While the occasional treat won’t cause too much harm, regularly indulging in sugary treats will ultimately begin to diminish your immune system and affect your vision.
Both natural and refined sugars cause your body to release insulin to regulate your blood sugar. If too much sugar is consumed, your body will not be able to balance it and you will suffer a sugar crash. When your body’s natural defenses are challenged, eye diseases are more prone to develop.
- Diabetic retinopathy: leaking blood vessels in the eyes and the growth of abnormal blood vessels on the eyes
- Macular degeneration: deterioration of your central vision that may be sped up due to sugar consumption
- Cataracts: build-up of natural proteins on the eyes that cause cloudy, yellowish vision; high blood sugar may cause the eyes to swell and encourage the formation of cataracts
- Glaucoma: build-up of excess fluid in the eyes that cause intraocular pressure; high blood sugar can cause a narrowing of blood vessels that prevent drainage
Hidden Sugar Sources
Sugar can be hiding in some unlikely places. This summer, limit your consumption of things like:
- Barbeque sauce, ketchup, honey mustard and marinades
- Potato salad, macaroni salad and coleslaw
- Tropical fruits like pineapple, mangoes and bananas (natural sugar)
- Alcohol mixes and fruit juices
- Salad dressing
Protect your vision and have a healthy summer!